Human Resources Director Lorea Seidel Presents At Year Up
Human Resources Director Lorea Seidel, M.Ed., SPHR, SHRM-SCP presented to the Dallas/Fort Worth Year Up inaugural class on June 1. Year Up is a national program, and launched its Dallas/Fort Worth program in the fall of 2016. The program offers an intensive, one-year career preparation program for college students ages 18-24 via its partnership with El Centro College in downtown Dallas. Students receive professional coaching and skill development in a particular business area, followed by internship experiences throughout the Metroplex. Students can earn a stipend throughout the year in addition to completing courses eligible for college credit. Each student is paired with a mentor and the program emphasizes coaching and feedback throughout its services. Corporate partners support the program and host an intern, with one in three companies hiring the student intern directly after completion. The program targets students who have completed high school or have their GED, have low-to-moderate income, who have not obtained a bachelor’s degree and who are highly motivated to learn new technical and professional skills.
On this particular day, the students gathered to celebrate their progress and learn what companies they would be working with as interns for the next six months. Lorea presented on the topic of “Living in Possibility: Six strategies for success at work and basically everywhere else.”
- becoming aware of and then managing any negative self-talk that might get in the way of feeling confident and capable
- giving yourself (and others) an “A” now and then living into that “A”
- cultivate curiosity and courage to always learn more and take risks
- discover your own unique strengths and the maximize them
- join the team and then become a respected team member
- practice “feed-forward” by identifying an area where you need to grow, seeking out advice from
- others on how to get better, try new strategies, then repeat the process; create allies who will help you grow
Students were very interested in the six strategies and even invited Lorea to become a mentor in the future. Lorea will continue volunteering time to support Year Up’s leadership team with facilitation, training and consulting.