2023 Hawaii Wildfires Giving Guide
Dangerous wildfires are burning on the Big Island and Maui in Hawaii, forcing thousands of people to evacuate. The fires are being fueled by strong winds from Hurricane Dora which is still hundreds of miles away. These 60+ MPH winds are making it difficult for fire departments to predict the path of the fire and keeping air support grounded. Much of the historic town of Lahaina is destroyed. If you are interested in helping the disaster relief effort, we have included some suggestions below. For more information or to donate, click the links below.
- American Red Cross donations enable the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to, and help people recover from disasters. This includes providing food, shelter, relief supplies, emotional support, recovery planning, and other assistance. It has opened emergency shelters on the Big Island and Maui for those displaced.
- Convoy of Hope is a faith-based organization with a driving passion to feed the world through children’s feeding initiatives, community outreach, and disaster response. It is communicating with partners on the ground to organize relief supplies to be delivered.
- Hawai’i Community Foundation envisions an equitable and vibrant Hawaii where all of their island communities thrive. In response to the wildfires, it is working to support affected communities through the Maui Strong fund, providing resources for disaster response and recovery.
- Maui Food Bank works to help the hungry in Maui County by collecting and distributing food through community partnerships. It is seeking monetary donations to feed displaced residents.
- Maui Humane Society has a mission to protect and save lives of Maui’s animals, accepting all in need, education the community, and inspiring respect and compassion towards all animals. Maui Humane Society is in search for monetary donations to help with the influx of displaced animals.
- Maui United Way has a mission to bridge resources that enrich and empower Maui’s Community. It has started the Maui Disaster Relief Fund which will provide direct relief to families and nonprofits affected by the wildfires.
When Making Donations
If you’re interested in donating to one or more of these organizations through your donor-advised fund or private foundation, please let us know. If you decide to donate to an organization directly, we encourage you to give to one of these organizations or an organization you know. Make sure your donation is secure by donating through an organization’s official website or sending a check in the mail. GoFundMe sites or links through social media sites are discouraged because of scams exploiting this crisis. For all donations, please specify that the donation is to assist the people affected by the natural disaster relief effort you want to support.